Saturday, March 29, 2014

Where to start

Let me introduce myself.

I am Stavros Ioannidis. A husband, father and programmer.  I am not really a JavaScript beginner. I just feel this way because I learn something new every day. I have built web applications mainly in asp.net with C#, and of course JavaScript.

At first I thought of JavaScript as some language used to do little manipulations on the client and send data back to the server, who is the main entity of an application. I thought of the server as the guy who does all the work even for the UI. Last year I started using JQuery, but again I didn't understand the potential of the library. I was just using the click event. 

Lately I discovered knockoutjs. At first I used it for a profile edit page on a web application I was building at work, and I was really amazed. Maybe I overused it but this way I started to understand how it works. Following the knockoutjs tutorials I discovered sammyjs. In the next application I built I used both sammy and knockout and it was really nice. Of course one day before turning the project in I realized that it was hanging the browser and I had to redo some stuff, but this way I found some performance limits when building applications mainly with JavaScript.

Currently I'm trying to learn some basic JavaScript concepts (prototypes, closures, this etc) so that I understand the language better, and every day get a little closer to becoming a JavaScript pro.

This guy is great. Hellped me a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment